Sunday, 6 May 2012

Training like a pro with the body of an amateur....

The "challenge" of training in your 30s is that age has intervened and it is definitely not as easy as in your 20s. That and not doing any for the last few years makes it a long and painful road back to somewhere approaching "fit" (well that's my excuse and I'm sticking with it!)
Not like there's any time pressure either! (47days 20hrs and 6mins but who's counting!?)

Something that seems to happen more now is that my joints crunch, my muscles tear and it's not quite so easy to push to the next level without something breaking.

Luckily I met Angela or as we lovingly call her "The Thumbs of Pain" :-S

You go with "a little niggle" and she digs it out with a shovel or at least that's what it feels like during and after.

Meet my new best friends, Theraflex and Biofreeze:


Pretty sure I didn't meet them in my twenties, or maybe I just had a more symbiotic relationship with my trigger points.

At least my knowledge of muscle anatomy has greatly improved, mostly through pain association!

So far my iliotibial band has been replaced by one not made out of cast iron, my piriformis has been coaxed out of spasm by brute force and the use of a tennis ball, I have torn my sartorius, my adductor magnus and have a gracilis muscle you could probably still play Vivaldi's four seasons on without too much difficulty.

I know the exact location of my sartorius because after Angela had been near it there was a distinct line of thumb shaped bruises along it's length. I've also had my adductors stripped and the crystal deposits ground out of my hip flexors which was at least as painful as it sounds to the power of 10!

.......and bar the beating my right tricep got yesterday she's only really been near one leg!

Whoever said that "Swimming is a gentle sport" is clearly a compulsive liar!!!


Either I am a crap swimmer or my body is too old for this shizzle :-S

No comments:

Post a Comment